As you guys know from previous posts (i.e. “congestion relief” and “kohl”), we tend to avoid OTC medicines when it comes to the kids. Although we understand that medication is necessary for some things in life, we prefer to find natural remedies for the babies for as many things as we can. When our littles ones have a cough it is plain torture. As a parent (or even grand-parent) to listen to those little ones day and night, it breaks our hearts. As soon as our mom hears our little ones coughing, she comes running over with a bottle of honey! An all-natural remedy for a cough we (taught by Mommy Vaid) like to give the kids is Pure Buckwheat Honey mixed with some Indian ingredients that are a sure way to help in the curing process (check out the steps below).
- Inside a small container, with a garlic press, squeeze the juice out of a small piece of adu (ginger).
- Add a tiny bit of hurder (tumeric)
- Add a tiny bit of ghee (clarified butter)
- Add two tablespoons of the buckwheat honey
- Mix it all in a small container and keep it covered.
- We give a quarter of a teaspoon spoon full to kids three times a day to subside the cough.
Please keep in mind that we started this remedy for coughs only after our littles one turned 18 months old. A warning before you try this at home: Honey under the age of 1 causes a risk of botulism. You can read more about that here and here.
As always we advise that you use all of our remedies with discretion for your child and if you’re ever unsure check with your pediatrician first.